POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : POVRay and XML : Re: POVRay and XML Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:18:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVRay and XML
From: Bernd Fuhrmann
Date: 3 Jan 2005 14:13:51
Message: <41d9996f$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> No. You'd just have code that you don't yet have a way to process.
> Parsing the SDL is only the first step. After that, you can do anything
> you want with the parsed code.

Right, but that won't solve my problem.

>> As mentioned earlier: I will have to think about something different
>> to solve my problem.
>

> So far, I haven't seen what your problem specifically is. So far, you've
> talked about generalized solutions to unspecified problems, but not
> specifically what you've encountered that youhad problems solving.

I want to code certain mesh transformations. This will be too complex in
SDL. Therefore I'd like to use some other programming language but I
couldn't find any solution that will ensure reusability. So XML was my
first idea for that but it is a bit awkward.

> I wrote my own parser to take input that was what I wanted it to be, and
> it outputs SDL (and HTML, and .BAT, and whatever else you want). I ran
> into a bunch of other limitations of POV-Ray that I had to work around
> in my "source code", but the structure of the parser I wrote made that
> not too difficult. Now, I just need to take the time to figure out how
> to put the results up on SourceForge(*) and to solicit opinions from
> others(+). :-)

This is almost what I was about to do. But there are some things that I
might not like: Just imagine the following:
Other people will do the same like you did: They will write their own
programs (each one with their own bugs and limitations and formats).
Some poor guy will use, let's say twenty of these programs for a real
cool scene. So he will be forced to write a build script. This leads to
the first couple of problems:
* Will your program be able to accept special code that is ment for the
next program?
* Will your program be able to run in the build environment (might be a
MAC, a Linux system that cannot execute BAT files or whatever.

I'd be interested in the program you wrote. If you like I can provide
some FTP space on a server that administrate. Just contact me via email.

Regards,
Bernd Fuhrmann